City Times Staff
After getting approval to demolish the convent building at St. Stephens Parish nearly two years ago, the razing of the 92-year-old building is now underway.
The convent building has been unused for 10 years and according to church leaders was in danger of a collapsing roof and full of black mold and asbestos. The church was unable to fund refurbishment of the building to make it suitable for use or sale.
The church needed city permission to raze the structure, which was home to the Sisters of Notre Dame who taught at the church’s school, because it sits in the city’s historic district. The Historic Preservation and Design committee were against the demolition due to the historic nature of the building but it’s continued deterioration gave few other options.
The convent was located behind St. Stephens Church at 1401 Clark St.