By Jacob Mathias
The Metro Fire Department responded to a small fire in the basement of a Stevens Point resident living on the 4600 block of Nicolet Ave.
Fire Departments from Stevens Point, Plover and the Town of Hull were called at 5:10 PM to what turned out to be a flaming dehumidifier.
“We got a report of a house filling up with smoke and occupants were out of the building,” said SPFD Captain J.B. Moody. “No one was hurt upon our arrival. All the people were out of the building along with the two dogs.”
Firefighters entered the home and used a thermal imaging camera to locate the fire which was in the basement. They entered the basement and discovered a small fire coming from a dehumidifier which they then extinguished.
“There was probably a four-by-four area that had some damage to the water heater and furnace,” said Moody. “We were able to pull the dehumidifier out of the home and basically ventilated it. Basically minimal smoke damage.”
Metro Fire left the scene at about 6:30 PM.
Moody said there was no damage to the house and the residents are already back in their home.