Mayor announces tournament’s return to the area for next three years; proceeds to benefit new sports complex
By Brandi Makuski
The Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament returns to Stevens Point this fall — and Mayor Mike Wiza said he expects the event to bring thousands to the area.
The announcement was made during a special press conference on Friday, with comments made by Parks Director Tom Schrader, Sara Brish, executive director of the victors and convention bureau, Lisa Pett from the Mid-Sisters of Skate and tournament officials.
Wiza said the city will host the popular outdoor tournament for the next three years, beginning this year on Sept. 10 and 11.
“We’re not exactly sure where, but definitely somewhere downtown,” Wiza said when asked where the tournament would be held. “Somewhere between the beginning of downtown and the riverfront.”
Profits from the event, Wiza said, would go towards building a new “state-of-the-art indoor sports complex [that] should have a lot of interest in the community.”
Details on the new sports complex have yet to be worked out, Wiza said, but would likely be constructed somewhere on the city’s east side.
“This is an exciting opportunity,” said Mike Fuller, vice president of sales and operations of Gus Macker. “Geographically speaking, this is an awesome location to hold a tournament like this due to the central location.”
Tournaments are open to players from age seven and up. Four- person teams are matched with each other by computer based on age, height and experience and each team plays at least three times.
The original Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament began in 1974 in Michigan. Since then, the tournament has since hit the road and accommodates over two million players before more 23 million spectators every year.
For more information go to www.macker.com. Online registration deadline for the Stevens Point tournament is Aug. 22.