City Times Staff
Below is the fourth annual Rummage Through Point & Plover rummage sale interactive map, sponsored by the Stevens Point City Times.
The community-wide rummage sale is being held from May 12-15 during daylight hours. Additional information can be found on each individual marker.
Please note the red markers indicate rummage sales; green markers note food sales; the blue marker is the City Times’ office, where rummage sale signs can be purchased for $0.50 each.
A few safety tips from the Portage Co. Sheriff’s Office:
“Remember, you’ve got people coming to your house; strangers coming by,” said Chief Deputy Dan Kontos. “Certainly we’d suggest two of you doing it — you should avoid doing it by yourself if you can.”
- Never invite anyone you don’t know into your home.
- Always have a phone out with you in your driveway or garage; if there’s a problem, or a medical emergency, you can quickly call law enforcement or EMS.
- Don’t leave your valuables unattended; keep highly-valued items as close to you as possible.
- Don’t have a lot of cash in your cash box; as you accumulate cash throughout your day, bleed off a little bit and keep it in your home, just have enough for change.
- Examine large bills for authenticity; counterfeit markers are available from most stores and only cost a few dollars.
- Don’t accept checks form people you don’t know; if you chose to do this, verify ID’s with driver’s license.
- Ensure your customers have enough room to walk and mill around.
- Make sure your animals are properly controlled; be aware some people are afraid of animals, even friendly ones.
- Watch the kids; even well-behaved kids wander and may grab something to put into their mouth — or pocket.
“Most importantly, though, don’t get distracted — remember you’re there not only as a community effort, but also as a bit of a business and have fun,” Kontos said. “Enjoy the spirit of why you’re there, as part of the community.”