City Times Staff
No one was injured in an early morning fire on Bush St., firefighters say, but it did leave one person homeless.
Stevens Point firefighters were called to the 3500 block of Bush St. just after 4:30 AM on Tuesday.
“There was one occupant in the residence at the time, he did not have working smoke detectors,” said Assistant Chief Jeff Davis. “He put some oil on the stove, turned it on then fell asleep.”
The man awoke later to see flames in his kitchen. He was later treated for smoke inhalation and released.
Davis said no other apartments were affected and while the fire was extinguished within 30 minutes, crews were on the scene until about 6 AM.
The Red Cross is assisting the tenant with emergency food, shelter and clothing.