By Tim “Shoe” Sullivan
Stevens Point, Wisconsin has such a rich history, and we love to share it with you.
We also encourage you the reader to take an active part in our quizzes. If you have an interesting tidbit concerning our fair city or a touch of trivia about “Point”, please let us know what you are thinking. You may call Tim “Shoe” Sullivan at (715) 344-2923 — or drop a note off at City Times office, 73 Sunset Blvd.
When you enter the City Times office, the first person you will see is the lovely and talented Brittany Thomas. Just tell her that you have a bit of trivia about Stevens Point that you’d like to share in our quiz and she will take down the info.
So without further ado, here now is the Stevens Point Reader Participation Quiz. A few of the questions came straight from you, the reader.
1. From reader Sue Ann Niland: Where was the first location of the Stevens Point YMCA?
A. In the former Pacelli High School building.
B. Across from the parking lot at Tempo.
C. At the intersection of Brawley and Wisconsin.
D. In the old fire station on Strongs Avenue.
E. Right next to Woolworth’s.
2. What former Portage County Executive was also an usher at the Fox Theatre?
A. Terry “Moose” Sutton.
B. Mark “Moose” Maslowski.
C. Blaine “Goose” Reichelt.
D. Juice Newton.
E. Deuce McCallister.
3. What was the former name of the Turn of the Century Hotel on the southside?
A. The Lyric.
C. The Castle.
D. The Majestic.
E. The Ritz.
4. From reader Mary Ellen Self: What were the names of three Stevens Point coal companies in the 1950’s/1960’s?
A. Breitenstein’s Coal, Carley Coal Company, and Copps Coal Company.
B. Garfield Coal, Jefferson Coal, and McKinley Coal.
C. Point Oil, Central Wisconsin Gas, and Razner Heating.
D. Moe’s Coal, Larry’s Coal, and Curly’s Energy.
E. Claude’s Coal, Cooper’s Coal, and Clapper’s Coal.
5. What business was NOT on Water Street?
A. Cigel’s Grocery.
B. Rudnick’s Grocery.
C. Point Brewery.
D. Altenburg Dairy.
E. Kellogg’s Lumber.
6. What year did Joe’s Bar on the Square open?
7. From reader Sue Ann Niland: Cannonballs were a common sight in Bukolt Park and Iverson Park until what pieces of equipment were removed in the late 70’s?
C. Ball diamonds.
D. Warming houses.
E. Diving boards.
8. What Stevens Pointer literally bumped into JFK at the White House and also was a teammate of the first major leaguer to hit a home run at Anaheim Stadium?
A. Wayne Jinske.
B. Dave Roman.
C. Jared Redfield.
D. Doug Barsness.
E. Tom Razner.
9. What WNBA team does former SPASH hoops standout Janel McCarville play for?
A. Chicago Sky.
B. Minnesota Lynx.
C. Los Angeles Sparks.
D. Seattle Storm.
E. Phoenix Mercury.
10. What was the last name in the 2012-2013 Stevens Point phone book?
A. Dudley Zhe.
B. Wallace Zywicki.
C. Zelmo Zoot.
D. Arthur Ames.
E. Joe Zei.
BONUS QUESTION: What body of water does the Clark Street Bridge go over?
A. Mosey’s Creek.
B. The Little Plover River.
C. McDill Pond.
D. The Wisconsin River.
E. The Bukolt Park Lagoon.
ANSWERS TO THE READER PARTICIPATION QUIZ: 1. D- The first YMCA in Point was in the old fire station on Strongs Avenue. 2. B- Mark “Moose” Maslowski. Moose also was a radio announcer at WYTE. 3. D- The Majestic. 4. A- Reader Mary Ellen Self recalled that Point had three coal companies in the 50s/60s. Breitenstein’s, Carley, and Copps Coal Companies. 5. B- Rudnick’s Grocery was downtown where Graffiti’s is now. 6. D. Joe’s Bar opened in 1959. 7. This was a great question from reader Sue Ann Niland! The answer is E – Diving boards. 8. C- Local attorney Jared Redfield bumped into JFK in the White House while matriculating at Georgetown and was a Little League teammate of Rick Reichardt on the Jaycees. 9. B- Minnesota Lynx. 10. B- Wallace Zywicki. BONUS ANSWER: D- The Wisconsin River.